Do you know how incredibly easy it is to make your own vanilla pudding? I didn’t until a few weeks ago when I decided I had to make a banana cream pie. We were watching a show on Food Network when I got the inspiration to try another bake I knew nothing about. Vanilla pudding is the base for this creamy pie and once you see how easy it is to make, you’ll never buy store bought pudding again!
Below is the recipe for my quick and easy Banana Cream Pie. Keep scrolling for my Tips, Tricks, and Don’ts that I did.
Banana Cream Pie
Single Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1¾ cups All-purpose Flour
- ¼ tps Salt
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 1½ tbsp White vinegar
- 6 tbsp 2% Milk
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1¾ cups Whole Milk
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter Room Temperature
- 4 bananas Sliced
- Sprinkle of Ground Cinnamon Optional
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
Instructions for Crust
- In a small bowl combine the flour and salt.
- Cut in butter with fork or dough blender until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture with vinegar.
- Gradually add milk tossing with a fork until a ball is formed.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes until easy to handle.
- After the pie dough has chilled, preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the chilled dough.
- Turn the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully place the dough into a 9×2-inch pie dish.
- Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth.
- Use a small paring knife to trim excess dough off the edges.
- Chill the prepared pie shell for 30 minutes. You'll want it very cold before blind-baking.
Instructions for Blind-Baking the Crust
- Line the chilled pie shell with aluminum foil, making sure to cover the edges so they do not burn
- Fill with pie weights or dried rice, then bake until the pie crust is very lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil (and weights) carefully and continue to bake the crust until it is a deeper brown, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the pie shell to a wire rack to cool completely as you prepare the filling.
Instructions for Pie Filling
- Combine the milk, heavy cream, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until all the sugar has dissolved, then bring to a gentle simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Working quickly as the milk mixture begins to simmer, whisk the egg yolks and cornstarch together in a medium heatproof bowl until thick and smooth.
- Very slowly stream in 1 cup (240ml) of the simmering milk to slightly warm the egg yolk mixture.
- In a very slow stream, whisk the egg yolk mixture into the pan.
- While continuously whisking, cook until the mixture is thick (pudding consistency) about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and butter.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the warm pudding to prevent a film from forming on top. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Slice 2 bananas and arrange slices into the cooled pie shell. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Spread cooled filling on top. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the filling. Again, to prevent a film from forming. Refrigerate for at least 4-8 hours and up to 1 day.
Whipped Cream Instructions (when ready to serve)
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Spread or pipe onto the chilled pie.
- Slice the 2 remaining bananas and decorate the pie with slices.
- Slice and serve.
Tips, Tricks and Don’ts That I Did
- Don’t skimp on the fridge time. This recipe is all about chill, chill, chill, and more chill. Chill the dough and chill the filling. Very cold dough is essential in making a flaky delicious crust.
- Don’t let the homemade pudding (the filling) intimidate you. It’s so easy and comes together like magic. All you must do is follow the instructions.
- Do play with crust and flavor options. This recipe is versatile. You can add vanilla wafers, blueberries, strawberries or even honey. The possibilities are endless.
- I added a few bruleed bananas to the top of my pie for a little added flavor. You can too, here’s how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2HlJwAXJw
- If you liked this recipe, check out my recipe for Easy Macarons here https://maebakes.com/easy-macarons/ (Pro Tip- you can use your egg whites from this recipe for your Macarons).
- As always don’t forget to Enjoy!