Summer has arrived in Texas which means PEACHES! This weekend one of my little helpers and I headed to the Texas Farmers Market in Austin to pick up some delicious peaches. Besides eating several of the juicy fruit over the sink I wanted to make a few different bakes with the peaches. The first bake on my list was easy peach turnovers. This one is so easy to bake, you’ll want to bake it on a relaxing Sunday morning to share with your favorite people. They’ll be so glad you did. Below is the recipe along with my Tips, Tricks, and Don’ts that I did. Enjoy!
Ingredients For the Puff Pastry
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks), cold
- 1/2 cup cold water
Instructions For the Puff Pasty
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Cut the cold butter into 1/4-inch slices and add to the flour mixture, tossing to coat.
- Stir in the cold water until a thick dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disk-shape, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 1 hour in the fridge, or 20 to 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Unwrap the dough, dust the work surface with flour, and roll the dough into a rough rectangle shape.
- Fold the dough in thirds, like a letter.
- Turn 90 degrees, roll and fold again.
- Repeat about 2 to 4 times, wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
Ingredients For the Filling
- 2 cups small diced peaches
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Flour, for dusting work surface
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Granulated Sugar
Instructions for Turnovers
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peaches, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Unfold the puff pastry onto a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, gently roll over the pastry to seal any perforations then cut into 8 squares.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop a portion of the peach mixture into the center of each puff pastry square then fold the pastry across diagonally to form triangles. Using a fork, crimp together the edges then transfer the turnovers to the prepared baking sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart.
- Cut three small slits in the tops of each turnover then brush them with the egg. Sprinkle the turnovers with sugar.
- Bake the turnovers for 20 minutes or until they’re golden brown and puffed. Transfer the turnovers to a rack to cool then serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips, Tricks, and Don’ts That I did
- Peaches are my go-to fruit in the summer, but this recipe can be used with strawberries, cherries, or any other fruit you can get in your area.
- If you live in the Austin, TX area, I highly recommend the Texas Farmers Market. They operate year-round at two different locations around the city and always have the best vendors with the freshest produce. Check them out here https://texasfarmersmarket.org
- If you have the time, make the puff pastry the night before. It’s very easy but does need time to chill. With your pre-made puff pastry the turnovers take just a few minutes to put together and 20 minutes in the oven. It’s one of the easiest and most delicious breakfast pastries you’ll over make.
- Make sure not to handle your dough too much when you’re making the puff pastry. A flaky crust requires very cold butter. If your butter starts to melt, pop the dough in the fridge for a few minutes before you continue handling it.
- You can use a fork to cut in the cold butter, but a dough blender is much easier. I picked up this one at Target https://www.target.com/p/kitchenaid-pastry-blender-black/-/A-76341870#lnk=sametab
- Crimping the pastries is necessary so your filling doesn’t fall out. If your fork starts to stick, dip it in a bit of flour to keep it from sticking.
- Turnovers are best served warm and can be reheated in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- If you like this recipe, check out my peach galette recipe here https://maebakes.com/easy-peach-galette/
- As always, don’t forget to Enjoy!